April 27, 2003

Divine Mercy Sunday

For the past four Divine Mercy Sundays I have been in Emmitsburg at some point during the day and I had originally planned to go today. There is always a huge gathering at the Grotto of Lourdes for the 3 PM mass and chaplet. I changed my plans when S.C.C., C.R.C. and myself were invited to go to Bob and Barbara G___’s grandsons confirmation at St. John Neumann in Reston. When Bob and Barbara asked us to go I could tell it meant a lot to them. I also knew that it would be difficult for them to get there and Barbara would need help with Bob so I offered to drive their handicap van. Bob said “that would sure be a big help”.

Before we left that afternoon I needed to take the Eucharist to Agnes Corradi. After I did that I drove back to "Parish Church" to return the empty pix and arrived there at 1:13. I then drove over to Bob and Barbara’s house, loaded Bob up in the van and then we waited for Barbara to finish getting ready. When Barbara got in the van we pulled out and the time was 1:33. We drove over to my house and picked up S.C.C. and C.R.C. and then drove to Bob and Barbara’s daughters house in Reston. We sat and talked for a little while then we went to Champ’s Restaurant and ate. From there we went to St. John Neumann Church.

The confirmation mass started at 7:30 and Bishop Loverde was the celebrant. It was very nice and the homily he gave was the same exact one as when he was at "Parish Church". When mass was over we were walking out of the church and just at the very instant I stepped outside I suddenly started thinking about not going to Divine Mercy Sunday in Emmitsburg and how much it meant to Bob and Barbara for us to be there with them. I looked at my watch and the time was 9:13.

We walked over to the parish hall for the reception and then went back to the van to go home. Bishop Loverde was walking towards us and Bob said hello to him from the window and asked him for a blessing. The handicap ramp was still extended and Bishop Loverde did not see it as he was getting in the van and he nearly tripped as he smacked his leg on the ramp. He almost fell. When Bishop Loverde got out of the van we drove back to "hometown". When we got back to Bob and Barbara’s house we helped Bob get in the house. S.C.C., C.R.C. and myself then got in my truck which had been parked at Bob’s and drove home. When we pulled in the driveway the time was 11:33 and the odometer was 33.

R_____ C___

May 6, 2003

1:13 Am