16th Mission of Mercy Mass - September 12, 2004

Today is the 16th Mission of Mercy mass at St. Mary’s in Fairfield. Last night Bob Nichols called and asked if I could arrive around noon and help him set up the parish hall for the dinner that follows. I told Bob that I would come and help him but I might be a little late because for the next 6 weeks S.C.C. and I are working with Phil and Aileen C teaching English to migrant Mexican workers who are here for the apple and peach harvest.

We met Phil and Aileen to go to the migrant workers camps in Bigglersville which is about 20 miles from here. Karen and Mick Major also went with us. We drove about half way and stopped to meet the translator who would be going with us. After we were all together we left to go to the migrant camps. As we pulled out the peace hit me. I glanced at my watch and the time was 10:13.

We arrived at the camp that had been assigned to S.C.C. and I and we gave simple, basic English lessons. The migrant workers were very eager to learn and they tried very hard. They also learned a little English and we learned a little Spanish. When we finished with the lessons we left the camp in Bigglersville and drove to St. Mary’s in Fairfield to help Bob with the parish hall. We arrived at St. Mary’s and pulled in the parking lot just at the clock on the dash switched to 12:13.

We were the first there and a few minutes later Bob and Jean Nichols arrived. We set up the parish hall for the dinner and got other things ready. Bob then asked me if I would be willing to stand by and lead the Chaplet of Divine Mercy if the person scheduled to do it did not show up. I told Bob I would do it if needed.

Jim O’Brien usually leads the Chaplet because of his good singing voice. I was supposed to give him a call to see if he needed a ride. I could not remember his phone number so I drove home to call. He did not answer his phone and I drove back to St. Mary’s and just as I arrived and the car came to a complete stop I felt the peace hit me. I glanced at my watch and the time was 1:33:13. Jim had already arrived when I got back.

The Mission of Mercy Sunday always begins with the rosary. Dr. Michael Sullivan led the rosary and it was a little late getting started. About 30 seconds after the rosary started Sr. Claire Mahoney came up from behind me and gave me a photo album of the burned crucifix she gave me awhile back. At that instant the feeling of peace hit me very hard. I glanced at my watch and the time was 2:13.

The rosary finished and mass began. C.R.C. served and Gianna Sullivan was the lector. Jim led the Chaplet of Divine Mercy after mass and that was followed by benediction. Everyone then went down stairs for the dinner. It was at that time I asked Fr. M__ to bless a statue of Our Lady of the Presentation that was out in my car. The statue is molded in the image of Our Lady of Emmitsburg. After it was blessed I glanced at my watch and it said XX:XX:13.

When everything was over we helped clean up the parish hall. Maria Nicastri said she would like to ride over to see our house. We then left and Maria followed behind us. When we pulled out of the parking lot I glanced at my watch and it said XX:XX:13.

Jim rode over to our house to help me unload the statue and put it in the yard. It ended up being to heavy for the two of us to lift. Dr. Joe F came over and the three of us were able to manage it. S.C.C. and Jim sat in the living room and watched a movie while I did some work I needed to do. When the movie was over Jim asked me to give him a ride home. I took Jim home and then stopped at St. Joseph’s to pray another rosary. I walked around the church praying the rosary and when I finished I looked at my watch and the time was 9:13.

R_____ C___

Sep 13, 2004

11:33 Pm