Mission of Mercy Mass

Sunday July 10, 2005

Today is the first Mission of Mercy mass that S.C.C. and I were responsible for setting up. There really is not all that much work involved because so many people are already in place for the things that need to be done on a regular monthly basis. For the most part it consist of getting to St. Mary’s early enough to set up the Mission of Mercy table and making sure everything is in place. Everyone does their little part and despite sudden, unexpected surprises everything just always seems to fall in place just in the nick of time.

Because the rosary before mass does not start until 2 o’clock I had plenty of time to do a few things I needed to get done. I had already started the June 23-26 (LMC Retreat) paper yesterday and I sat down this morning to finish it. When I finished it I looked and the time was 11:33.

Earlier in the week I had asked Ray Sanders to be one of the altar servers and he said he would be happy to do it. He called last night to confirm that he was still needed and I told him that I would pick him up at 12:45 in front of St. Joseph’s. I drove to St. Joseph’s to pick Ray up and he was sitting out front waiting for me when I arrived. I suddenly felt the peace and glanced at my watch and it said XX:XX:13.

Ray and I drove to St. Mary’s and S.C.C. was already there getting things ready when we arrived. A few minutes later Dolly K arrived and was almost frantic because she was running so late getting the kitchen set up for the dinner that follows the mass. I told Dolly not to worry because there was still plenty of time. I glanced at my watch and the time was 1:13.

The rosary began at 2 o’clock and that was followed by the mass. Fr. George Restrepo SJ was the priest this month because Fr. M____ has asked us to find a replacement for him over the rest of the summer. This does make things more difficult.

During the mass I was sitting in my pew and looked up and there was a halo behind the head of the statue of Mary. It was beautiful and this was the first time this has happened in a good while. I knew to glance at my watch and it said XX:XX:13. The mass ended and I again felt the peace run through me just as I walked out the door and the time was 4:13

A covered dish dinner followed downstairs in the parish hall and it was very nice. There are some very good cooks around here. When everything was over and we had cleaned up I walked into the main part of the church just as we were leaving just to say “thank You” for allowing our first Mission of Mercy mass to go so well. At that instant I glanced at my watch and it said XX:XX:13.

R_____ C___

July 31, 2005

4:13 Pm