Diabetes Doctors Appointment

Friday July 15, 2005

Since even before we moved here to the Emmitsburg area our entire family has become very good friends with Dr. Joe F and his family. S.C.C. works with Joe’s wife J__ at St. Peter’s Books and C.R.C. is best friends and classmate with their son, P____. They just live down the street from us.

Joe has become our doctor. Since we moved here Joe has been prescribing medication for my diabetes and keeping a close watch on it. I had an appointment with him this morning and as a result my life has changed for ever because now I have to give myself daily insulin shots in the stomach. I have decided to write this paper because it shows me just how strong the graces from heaven are around here to those willing to accept them.

Last night was another one of those nights that I was suddenly awakened with a desire to pray. Like always I could feel the peace and looked over at the clock. The time was 4:13.

After praying I went back to sleep and got up later to go to the 7 AM mass at the basilica but I got there about 3 minutes late and the door was already locked. If you are one minute late there you don’t get in. I then rode to McDonald’s and ate breakfast before my 8 AM doctors appointment.

I sat there and read the paper until time for my appointment and then rode down the street to Joe’s office. Since I was first diagnosed with diabetes back in 1996 or 7 I have dreaded the thought of having to take shots everyday and I have put it off as long as possible. Today Joe said the time had come and it was something I needed to start doing. As he wrote me a prescription for the insulin and the needles I suddenly felt the peace I know so well at a time when I was most uncomfortable. It was at that instant when Joe was writing the prescription that I noticed the time on his watch was 8:33.

At that instant I no longer had any problem with the thought of giving myself a shot everyday. When my appointment was over I left to go to work in Manassas and when I arrived there and the car came to a complete stop the time on the dash switched to 10:33.

I had not been at work very long when Joe called and asked if I wanted to ride into Gettysburg tonight and listen to live bluegrass music and have a cup of coffee with him. I told him I would like to go. Later in the day I took my lunch break and went to All Saint’s and attended the 12 noon mass. Mass ended and just as I was walking out the door I again felt the peace. I glanced at my watch and it said XX:XX:33.

I returned to work and was very busy the rest of the day. When I finally finished all of my work I left for the day. I was delayed getting back to Emmitsburg because of torrential downpours of rain that brought traffic to a crawl and the Friday night traffic backups in Leesburg. Despite these delays that were beyond my control I arrived back at St. Joseph’s and the time was 7:33.

Even after all these years I am still amazed how this happens. I said a few prayers and then drove home and ate dinner. Joe Ferguson and I then rode to Gettysburg like we do from time to time and had coffee and listened to music. When we finished we drove home and when I dropped Joe off at his house the time on the dash was 10:33. I drove down the street to my house and when I arrived there the odometer was 3.3

R_____ C___

 July 31, 2005

5:33:33 Pm