The Second Sunday Mission Of Mercy Prayer Service Has Been Put On Hold

Sunday August 13, 2006

St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Fairfield has hosted the 2nd Sunday Mission of Mercy prayer service for over four years. The first Mission of Mercy prayer service and mass was held on Mother’s Day, May 11, 2002. A few months ago there was pressure applied which resulted in the suspension of the monthly mass portion of the prayer service. This caused attendance to drop but 25 to 30 people still attended.

It was recently decided to suspend the monthly prayer group after the August 13th prayer service for now because of the low attendance. The prayer group was not forced to stop, this was a decision made by the Mission of Mercy board. Bob and Jean Nichols were the first prayer group coordinators and about a year ago S.C.C. and I took over that job. We have enjoyed doing it and this is how the final (at least for now) prayer group went:

I woke up this morning and the first thought that ran through my mind was today being the final 2nd Sunday Mission of Mercy prayer service. As this thought ran through my mind I looked over at the clock next to the bed just at the instant it switched to 6:33.

Later in the morning I sat down to write my Lay Missionary of Charity vows to give to Fr. Mike because we renew this coming Tuesday August 15th. As I was writing the vows on the piece of paper I suddenly felt the peace run through me. I knew to look at my watch and the time was 10:13.

S.C.C., C.R.C. and myself then drove to St. Mary’s for the 10:30 mass. We arrived just as mass was starting and the time was 10:33. Fr. Mike was the priest and when mass ended we got in the car to leave and when the car started the time on the dash was 11:33.

Later in the afternoon we rode back to St. Mary’s to set up for today’s 2nd Sunday Mission of Mercy prayer service. Fr. Mike arrived and said he would be hearing confessions. He asked me to put on my Eucharistic Minister alb and expose the Blessed Sacrament on the altar for him. I did and the prayer group began. There were about 30 people there.

I led the rosary and that was followed by the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. Ivan Pare led the Mission of Mercy prayers. The prayer group ended and everybody went downstairs for a covered dish dinner. When that ended I suddenly felt the peace as I carried a box out to my car. I looked at my watch and the time was 4:13. I went back downstairs and helped clean up. When we finished I helped Sr. Mary Bernadette out of the church. I looked at my watch as we left and the time was 4:33.

R_____ C___

Aug. 27, 2006

6:13 Pm