Prayers For The Victims at Virginia Tech

Monday April 16, 2007

Mass murder at schools and workplaces have become so common that for many people the shock factor that comes with the news of such incidents is all but gone. They have seen it before in the news and each time it happens they are a little more conditioned to it and feel less impact than they personally experienced the last time it happened. After so many school and workplace shootings many people now just simply wonder when and where the next occurrence will take place. Unfortunately it happened again today at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg and as a result this is how the day went.

I have been on vacation from work using up “use it or loose it” vacation time. It has given me a lot of time to catch up on a lot of work around both houses, here and in "hometown". This morning I got up and Greg and I attended mass at St. Mary’s. Fr. Ziegfried was the priest. Mass ended and I glanced at my watch and the time was 8:33.

After mass Greg and I rode back to the house and we discussed his future plans and if he will be going back to Catholic University or going back to Soul, South Korea. Greg still does not know but thinks he may have to go back to Korea.

Greg and I rode into Emmitsburg and I dropped him off at Mount St. Mary’s where he stays in the library all day studying. I then stopped by St. Peter’s Books for coffee and it was then I first learned of today’s deadly shootings at Virginia Tech.

I hate to say this but I was not very shocked after hearing this news and it made me sad to think that something as bad as this no longer causes a feeling of shock as one might expect. I realized at that point it was because this happens so often in our society that the shock factor has dulled. Anyway I drove home and when I pulled in my driveway the odometer was 13.

I spent much of the day doing work around the house and when I was finished I rode back into Emmitsburg. I stopped at St. Joseph’s to say some prayers for the Va. Tech victims and despite heavy traffic I arrived there at 3:33.

When I finished praying from the car because the church is always locked I rode by St. Peter’s and had a coke. Later in the evening S.C.C. and I both left to go pick up Greg at Mount St. Mary’s so we could all go to the Miraculous Medal Novena at St. Joseph’s. We arrived at St. Joseph’s and just as the car came to a complete stop the CD flashed 133. I glanced at my watch as I walked in the church and it said XX:XX:13.

Fr. Paul Murphy was the priest and during the mass he prayed for the 33 dead people at Va. Tech. Mass ended and I glanced at my watch and the time was 8:13.

We then gave Ivan P a ride home which is on the way to our house. Later in the evening someone suggested that we pray the rosary for all of the people and family’s affected by today’s events at Va. Tech. I glanced at my watch as we began the rosary and the time was 10:13. We finished the rosary and I glanced at my watch as I kissed the Crucifix and the time was 10:33:33.

R_____ C___

May 9, 2007

9:33 Pm